|Diesel powered passenger vehicles continue to increase in popularity as consumers take advantage of the performance and economy improvements made by the engine manufacturers.
A key element in this engine development is the increased role played by the glow plug. No longer employed as just a cold start device the glow plug is now kept at temperature for up to three minutes after engine start up. This ensures that the vehicles emissions are kept to a minimum while the engine reaches its normal operating temperature.
Improvements in glow plug control systems and their ability to regulate glow plug temperature and duration for each cylinder individually has meant that glow plug technology has had to be developed to meet these increased performance requirements.
The materials and processes used in the manufacture of glow plugs are vital for the production of a quality product. Wellman glow plugs are manufactured using the highest quality materials
- Kanthal alloy heating coil for precise temperature and extended life
- Inconel 601 alloy sheath for thermal stability and long life
- High purity Magnesium Oxide powder for improved performance
- Cobalt alloy control coil ensures long life
- Rolled thread for added strength and a precision fit
- Zinc plated and passivated steel body
- Zinc plated terminal giving high resistance to corrosion and good electrical contact